Wedding Photography Portfolio Site   |   View our All New Photography Blog  |   Contact Us                                                                                   

Friday, October 16, 2009

Planted Tanks: New Fish Tank

It's been a long time in the making. I've just had this blank space over top my fireplace in my living room. It was designed for a TV, but since TV's aren't really shaped to fit there anymore, I decided a fish tank would be a much better fit. But not just any fish tank, a live plant tank.

Planted Tank Pictures
Look at that wasted space!

So after searching Craigslist for over a month, I finally land on the perfect tank. A 36" 45 gallon breeder tank, complete with filter, heater, and lid. Fits perfect!

Planted Tank Pictures

So I ordered a new high output lighting fixture for it. Plants need a TON of light to grow.

Planted Tank Pictures


Planted Tank Pictures


Planted Tank Pictures
Ooo pretty moonlights!

After ordering 100lbs of plant gravel, and doing a test run in the garage, I was ready to go.

Planted Tank Pictures


Planted Tank Pictures


Planted Tank Pictures
My shelf didn't break!

After letting it sit overnight (with no leaks!). I decided it would be a good time to get some plants. They arrived earlier today.


You know it's a good day when you get something that looks like this in the mail


Planted Tank Pictures
All ready to plant


Planted Tank Pictures


Planted Tank PicturesNope, those bubbles aren't air bubbles. This is a Co2 diffuser. I run a pressurized Co2 system because it provides live aquatic plants with the crucial things they need (carbon) to live and grow. Think of it as oxygen for us.


Planted Tank PicturesIt's an open top tank, with the light suspended over it


Planted Tank Pictures


Planted Tank PicturesPretty cool looking if you ask me!


Planted Tank PicturesAll lit up with the moonlights at night!


Planted Tank Pictures
The fireplace keeps the plants warm at night


Planted Tank Pictures


This system should live, grow and develop over time, so I'll be posting updates periodically. Now I just have to get some fish!

1 comment: