Wedding Photography Portfolio Site   |   View our All New Photography Blog  |   Contact Us                                                                                   

Monday, October 27, 2008

The problem with being a photographer

Just a bit of a rant: I was thinking about this the other day. When your constantly the one taking the pictures, your never in any of them. I do lots of fun things that I would love to have pictures of. I wish I had beautifully exposed, professional pictures of me hiking, running, playing tennis, skiing, shopping at walmart, and driving BMW's at high speeds. 

Outside of setting the self timer or trying to do the cliche myspace-point-the-camera-in-the-mirror pose, your not going to be able to take many pictures of yourself. Sure other people can take pictures of you, but they never get the lighting right, they typically have a high powered wash-you-out flash, and catch you with your eyes closed.  I can hand them my camera, but they have no clue what an aperture or a ISO is! Maybe its just because I'm a photographer, but I find that its very difficult to like a picture that someone else takes of me. I've noticed that some other photographers have had the same problem! Some of them remedy this by doing the "I'll shoot you, if you shoot me" thing. Maybe I should do that. 

I just wish I was friends with a troop of skilled photographers that didn't mind bringing their cameras when I'm skiing down a hill at 40mph. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on that one. I started a thread in the photo forum about it. I've started setting up my camera and giving it to my husband to shoot me. He's listened enough about composition, etc. to start getting some of me that don't completely stink!

    ReplyDelete